The Pittsburgh Coffee Pot's
There are 20 days until Christmas!
Hint #4: Mocha Toffee Bars
Last night at Lawrenceville's Joy of Cookies Tour I tried Mocha Toffee Bars at Divertido, an eclectic gift boutique on Butler Street. These cookie bars would be the perfect treat to serve at a holiday party. They were rich, but not too sweet and they had just enough espresso for that coffee jolt. The recipe is listed below -courtesy of Gourmet Magazine and Lawrencville's 2009 Joy of Cookies Tour.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) softened, unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso power dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup salted, roasted chopped cashews
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, add the brown sugar and beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the yolk, add the vanilla and the espresso mixture, a little at a time, beating, and beat the mixture until combined well.
- Add the salt and flour, beating, and beat the mixture again until combined well.
- Spread the batter evenly in a jelly-roll pan (15.5" x 10.5" x 1") and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it pulls away slightly from the edge of the pan.
- Spread the chocolate, melted evenly over the baked layer and sprinkle the cashews over it.
- Let the mixture cool in the pan on a rack, cut into bars and chill for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chocolate in firm.
Makes 48 cookies.