There was an error in this gadget

Monday, February 9, 2009

Refrigerated Coffee

Over this past weekend my mother has been brewing coffee in the morning for me. This is a rare occurrence. She never voluntarily brews coffee for me. When I'm making coffee I usually only make the amount I know I am going to drink, which is about one or two cups. My mom, however, brewed enough for four or five cups. She assumed that she would be drinking it too. Needless to say, we failed to finish the pot. In an attempt to avoid being wasteful we saved the remaining coffee in the refrigerator. I have since heated up and drank the "left-overs".

I was surprised that there was not much of a difference between the fresh-brewed coffee and the one/two day old coffee at all. The flavor was less pungent and the smell of the coffee being heated in the microwave was less intoxicating. Aside from that the "old" coffee was just as good, for me at least. It reminded me of how a cup of coffee tastes when you order it late at night, after hours, at the local 24-hour eatery or so. And they serve you the last drop of coffee that had been resting in the coffee pot, brewed some time before.

When I realized how pleased I was drinking the refrigerated coffee I wondered how long could coffee last in the refrigerator before going bad?

The Coffee Detective, an on-line community that provides useful facts and advice for coffee makers and lovers provided some interesting information on the topic.

The Coffee Detective also stated to prevent coffee from spoiling in the fridge to seal it in a tight container and to use it within a week of brewing.

So, how do you spot spoiled coffee?

From personal experience, when your refrigerated coffee has mold growing on it it's not safe to drink. Throw it out and brew a fresh pot!

Does anyone have an interesting story about brewing coffee? Share it here! Have a question? Don't be afraid to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment