There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It just takes one sip...

I don't remember exactly when I first started drinking coffee, but I do remember coffee always being a part of my life.

When I was very young I can remember my grandparents and aunt drinking coffee often and I always felt like drinking coffee was a very "grown up" thing to do. I wasn't allowed to drink coffee...I had to "wait til I was older". The idea of drinking coffee was very enticing and I looked forward to the day I would finally be able to. I couldn't imagine what it tasted like or why everyone seemed to enjoy drinking it so much.

When I got a little older I would make coffee for my dad. My mom would pick me up from grade school and when we got home she would let me put the coffee on for my dad to have when he got home from work. I probably only did that a handful of times, but that sticks out to me. I loved the smell of the coffee when it was brewing and I loved to scoop it out of the can. I don't have many memories of times spent with my dad because he was going through some personal problems that took a great toll on my family and eventually led to my parents' separation. However, I felt important making that coffee for him.

In my early teens I was finally able to try coffee for myself. At first I would only drink Starbucks Mocha Frappucinos. It was like drinking a chocolate milkshake that made me feel hyper. I eventually started to try other varieties of coffee and my tastes and preferences changed.

I don't have a favorite blend of coffee or style of drink. I love to try everything and anything with coffee.

Coffee represents many things to me. One is adventure. Every time I try a new coffee drink or visit a new coffee shop its like going on a new adventure where I will experiment and discover new things. Another is friendship, family and comfort. There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting down with a group of people or one person that means a lot to you and sharing a cup of coffee together and having a heartfelt conversation. Almost every family function ends with coffee. I spend a lot of time going to coffee shops with my closest friends or my boyfriend (even though he doesn't drink coffee!).

Coffee is much more to me than a morning pick-me-up or a caffeine fix. My journey with coffee started with just one sip and since then I have grown to love coffee in all of its shapes, forms and flavors.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more :) "There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting down with a group of people or one person that means a lot to you and sharing a cup of coffee together and having a heartfelt conversation."
    Well said!
    I just recently got into coffee like a year ago, and as of now I can only drink it with sugar AND that CoffeeMate creamer. I like hazelnut coffee with cinnamon creamer :) what's your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. second to last paragraph, so true!!

    ReplyDelete